Saturday, March 3, 2007


In his excellent work, Disciplines of a Godly Man, R. Kent Hughes mentions a quote by a famous radio talk show host. Bear in mind he is a Jewish man, not even claiming to be a Christian. Read his observation on p.78:


"One thing I noticed about Evangelicals is that they do not read. They do not read the Bible, they do not read the great Christian thinkers, they have never heard of Aquinas. If they're Presbyterian, they've never read the founders of Presbyterianism. I do not understand that. As a Jew, that's confusing to me. The commandment of study is so deep in Judaism that we immerse ourselves in study. God gave us a brain, aren't we to use it in His service? When I walk into an Evangelical Christian's home and see a total of 30 books, most of them best-sellers, I do not understand. I have bookcases of Christian books, and I am a Jew. Why do I have more Christian books than 98% of the Christians in America? That is so bizarre to me."


Christian, train your mind for godliness. Do this by reading, reading and more reading. Do this by study, study and more studying. Read the Bible! God gave us the revelation of Himself in His Word. Know it! May this be a reminder to us all. Praise God for His revelation.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!