Monday, July 5, 2010

Indeed, I have my work cut out for me this week. The next psalm in line for our study is Psalm 68. Here are just a few quotes I've gathered regarding the historical interpretation of this difficult psalm.

"It is doubtless a difficult psalm to interpret. Dahood writes: “It is widely admitted as textually and exegetically the most difficult and obscure of all the psalms.”

Kraus (famously) writes: “There is in the Psalter scarcely a son that, in its textual corruption and disconnectedness, presents the interpreter so great a task as Ps 68."


In 1851, a commentator, E. Reuss, gathered 400+ commentaries on the Psalms seeking to understand Ps 68 and left the study thoroughly confused!


I have some good ideas as to the structure and content of the psalm. I'm convinced that much of the imagery of this psalm comes from historical events recounted in the OT—the exodus from Egypt, the march through the wilderness/desert, the conquest and distribution of the land of Canaan, and the victory over the kings of Canaan . . . In this psalm the character and person of God glistens forth in so many directions just as a beam of light hits a costly jewel and the rays of light reflect off in every direction.

Open the eyes of my heart that I may behold wonderful things from Your Law (Ps 119:18). But for now, back to work...
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!