Tuesday, October 2, 2012

In the year 1854 a sailing vessel was becalmed in the vicinity of New Guinea. Seeing the distressed look on the captain's face as he peered intently into the sea, a young Englishman inquired as to the cause of his anxiety. This was the reply: "A four-knot current is carrying us swiftly toward some sunken reefs over there. Our fate seems to be sealed." On the shores of the island, cannibals were rushing about and lighting fires in great glee. Presently the captain spoke again: "We have done everything that can be done." "No," responded the young man, "there is one thing we haven't done. Four of us on board are Christians. Let each of us retire to his cabin and in agreed prayer ask the Lord to give us a breeze immediately." This was agreed upon and done.

After a few minutes of earnest intercession, the young man came up on deck confident that the petition had been granted. Finding the first officer, a godless man, in charge, he requested him to let down the corners of the mainsail. "What would be the good of that?" he asked. The young man told him that he and three others had been asking God to send a wind, that it was coming immediately and that there was not a minute to lose, since they were so near the reefs. With a look of contempt, the officer replied with an oath: "Nonsense! You can't pray up a wind." Noticing a few moments later that the topmost sail was beginning to tremble, he said: "That is only a cat's-paw — a mere puff of wind." "Never mind what you think," cried the young man. "Let down the mainsail quickly."

This he was not slow to do. Hearing the heavy tread of the men on deck, the captain came up from his cabin and saw that the breeze had indeed come. In a few minutes they were sailing away from the dangerous reefs, much to the disappointment of the native cannibals on the beach.

Writing of this and similar experiences, the young man said: "Thus God encouraged me, ere landing on China's shores, to bring every variety of need to Him in prayer, and to expect that He would honor the name of the Lord Jesus and give the help which each emergency required."

So we have been introduced to a remarkable man, J. Hudson Taylor, and to the text, John 14:13, which was woven into the fabric of his life and into the texture of his stupendous achievements: "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Read the rest of this biography HERE.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Safari, it looks
fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
great blog!

Feel free to visit my website: articulation

Anonymous said...

Heya administrator, I just wanted to give you a quick
heads up that your current Link: http://www.blogger.

com/comment.g?blogID=36326776&postID=7044992926700500748 is being flagged as a potentially malicious blog in my browser safari.
I'd highly suggest having somebody look into it. You can certainly lose a lot of site visitors due to this kind of issue. Very best of Luck.

Also visit my web page ... merriam

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this web site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later on
and see if the problem still exists.

Here is my homepage profesionalna

Anonymous said...

Hey! I was curious to know if setting up a weblog such your own: http://www.
blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=36326776&postID=7044992926700500748 is tough to do for unskilled people?

I've been wanting to create my own website for a while now but have been turned off because I've always believed it demanded tons of work.
What do you think? Thanks!

my weblog :: removal tools
Also see my webpage > way landscaping

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would
cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not
100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos

my weblog: vaga

Anonymous said...

Hello would you mind letting me know which webhost you're working with? I've loaded your blog in
3 completely different internet browsers and
I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good internet hosting
provider at a reasonable price? Many thanks, I appreciate it!


Take a look at my web site information

Anonymous said...

This design is incredible! You certainly know how to keep
a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more
than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

Feel free to surf to my page: http://maskha.newsvine.com
Also see my site - site

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!