Sunday, April 5, 2009

Book Review:

Lou Priolo. Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training (Woodruff, SC: Timeless Texts, 2000).


Abstract: This work assists parents in the role of child training in that it clearly explains the need for the parent to know the Scriptures, understand the Scripture, and apply the Scriptures to every aspect of life—including parenting! He focuses on the reality that child rearing involves the Holy Spirit, the Scriptures, and time. With God’s help and with His sufficient Word, the Christian parent and implement God’s Word in every aspect of parenting and trust God to bring about the result that would bring Him the greatest honor and glory.


Review by: Geoffrey R. Kirkland

associate pastor l CCC


Priolo begins the work by stating: “There are at least three essential ingredients necessary to produce the Christ-like maturity you are to be endeavoring to produce in your children. They are the Spirit, the Scriptures, and time” (2). Noteworthy, the Scriptures can be learned by any child as soon as he is capable of understanding anything! Of course, Priolo argues through the course of the book, the goal of parenting is to make the child like Christ. That is an impossible task humanly speaking, but nonetheless, it is the task which God has sovereignty granted to all parents!

After the introductory chapter, he proves the necessity of teaching the Scriptures to the children. In fact, he spends a bulk of the chapter exhorting the parents to know the Word themselves first! He says: “If you are going to teach your children God’s Word, you must know the Scriptures yourself” (11). To quote him at length:

What then are the means whereby you may impress these Scriptures on your heart? They are regular Bible reading and Bible study, biblical discourse (letting the word of Christ richly dwell within you involves ‘teaching and admonishing one another with psalms [and] hymns [and] spiritual songs,’ etc.), especially with your children (‘and you shall …talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up’), listening to the teaching and preaching of God’s Word, and, perhaps most importantly, daily meditation on the Scriptures (which we shall study later). Yet beyond all of this, having God’s Word on your hearts means that the Scriptures are governing all areas of your life. When God’s Word is on your heart, it affects your entire life” (13).

An important truth as revealed in Deuteronomy 6 is the reality of teaching the child “in the milieu”—that is, in the situation itself.

The necessity of convicting and correcting with God’s Word is also important as the parent not only seeks to teach the Word of God, but the parent must convict the child of sin and correct that behavior to put off the sin and put on Christ as Lord.

Not only is the book very theological (which it is) and biblical (which it is), but it is loaded with very practical helps. He gives, for instance, some practical examples of training the child with the Scriptures: start the child on a regular program of Scripture memory, train the child to meditate on Scripture, apply appropriate Scripture passages to all areas of life, train the child to obey your instructions the first time, train the child to communicate biblically, and train the child to think biblically about all aspects of life.

He includes a helpful chapter on disciplining children and ascertaining how and when to discipline the child. How young is too young? How old is too old? When should the discipline take place? In public? In private? Hard? Soft? What if the child says, “I’m sorry?” All of these are questions that Priolo answers with biblical support in the chapter entitled The Rod and Reproof.

Perhaps the biggest lesson I learned from the book was Priolo’s emphasis on teaching the child in the moment. If the child is caught in a lie, take the time and get to the root issue in the child’s heart, bring appropriate Scriptures to the fore, and help the child himself think through how he ought to change and what practical ways he can start to implement this change!

I would highly recommend this book to any young married couple who will soon have children. I would also commend this book to all couples who are in the midst of raising children. Not only are there practical helps contained in the book, but Scripture verses are replete in every chapter! It is, indeed, a manual on how to use the Scriptures in child training

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review son!

Here's a link to Lou Priolo's website...it has some useful resources (articles and MP3s).

http://loupriolo.com/catalog/

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Exactly Where Topsoil Originates Out Of And How To Get It Supplied In New Jersey
Benefits Of Auckland Topsoil Delivery Services

Here is my blog post; http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/wiki/Ilaamgokf
Here is my blog :: mequon tree nursery

Anonymous said...

Open-Government Blog The great majority of users will make calls with no reason to fear that anyone might be
listening. However, users with especially high security requirements should consider adding extra, end-to-end
security features over the top of both their fixed line
calls and their mobile calls." http://tinyurl.com/amtx2ln Here, two more things went wrong. First, Obeidi found four times as many Americans at the single-storey, fortified house as he had been told expect - 37, not just 10. So he did not have enough transport. Then, the villa came under massive attack. Microsoft, meanwhile, expects to blanket the airwaves, Internet, and print media with advertisements for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.
Visit my webpage ; Reverse Cell Phone Look Up

Anonymous said...

I'm an aspiring writer-of all literary trades (journalism, screen writing, satire, etc)-but I wish to start a blog for a few adult oriented, romantic fantasy literature. Anyone know how I can begin a blog which will allow me to try this? In my opinion I'll require a warning page
before entrance, and I need it ahead up on search engines like google.
.

Also visit my web page - http://africanamericansupersite.com/
Look at my webpage ; paxil lawsuit settlements

Anonymous said...

I needed to begin my own blog and I was looking for your suggestions for which sites
you think would be the best to start one with.
. I wish to be able to post pictures, text, and music (maybe).
. I only want to make use of a free blog host.
.

Take a look at my weblog - Paxillawsuit.tv

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I finished up here, but I assumed this post used to
be great. I don't realize who you might be but certainly you are going to a famous blogger should you are not already. Cheers!

Also visit my page: Pba Root Canal

Anonymous said...

Hello, after reading this remarkable post i am too glad to share my experience here with colleagues.


my web-site :: www.lambsbook.us

Anonymous said...

Hi there I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by error, while I was searching on Google
for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don't have time to go through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb job.

My web site; discount dental plans

Anonymous said...

If you are going for most excellent contents like me, just go to see this web page everyday because
it offers feature contents, thanks

Look at my blog - www.freepressrelease24.com
Also see my web site :: http://www.kampus14.com

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves it when individuals get together and share thoughts.
Great website, stick with it!

Here is my blog post http://aquaconservation.com/wildlife/healthy-smile-with-cheap-dental-plans-in-california
my web page > www.belmar.biz

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the dedication you put into
your site and detailed information you offer.
It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed information.
Excellent read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.


Feel free to surf to my page wiki.danva.dk

Anonymous said...

Search engine marketing providers providing Los Angeles web design often recommend this to start-up corporations
because of its many advantages. The principal advantage of
utilizing social websites marketing is quick and constant communication.
Compared to regular varieties of promoting, you are able to respond
to your clients through comments and posts. As social
websites web sites are around to the public, anyone can view your site content.
This is drastically low-cost as compared to regular promoting.
Important Note: Before you buy make sure you are familiar with the laws on putting a wrecked or salvage title car back on the road.
Every state has different requirements so be sure to find out
what they are to avoid a costly mistake.

my website buy success by anthongy

Anonymous said...

I would really prefer in order to save my blog posts on wordpress?


Check out my web blog - paginasamarillas-atl.com

Anonymous said...

Its not my first time to pay a visit this web site, i am visiting this web page
dailly and get pleasant data from here all the time.


my weblog dental plan in
Also see my page - Dental Plan IN

Anonymous said...

Wοnderful blog site! ӏ found it though browsing on Yаhoo Nеws.
Do you mіght havе any suggestіons οn how
to gеt listed in Yahoo Nеws? I've been trying for the although but I under no circumstances seem to get there! Thank you

Look into my web site: swaggybook.com

Anonymous said...

I had ѕtrеρ throat, in all probability as bad maіnly becausе it
gets. My throаt was sо swollen it seemeԁ like I
didn't have a neck. I cleared it up inside of 2 times, just before I understood my swab examined beneficial. I took large doses of Vitamin C, probiotics, and Homeopathics presented to me by my Naturopathic Health care provider. I feel antibotics usually are not usually necessary for strep throat, although, I had been most undoubtedly begging for them. I believe superior health as well as a potent immune program is vital to your recovery from this infection.

Feel free to visit my web-site ... strep throat japanese

Anonymous said...

When you're the parent who has sole custody of your child or the kids, you'll likely get double the grocery money to buy infant formulas,
baby food, and diapers. Additional budgets for the children should cover their tuition fees, books, school supplies, daily lunch and snack
at school, dental and medical checkups, health supplements, and other important items that kids need.


my blog - yaz lawsuit compensation

Anonymous said...

Thе writе-up hаѕ established
necesѕary to me ρersonallу.
It’ѕ vеry useful anԁ yοu reallу are certainly very
exρerienced in thіѕ fіeld.

Үou poѕsess eхpoѕed my оwn face foг you to varying thoughts about this
sрecifіc subjeсt together with intriquing, notable anԁ solid written cоntent.
Also visit my web site - xanax online

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also visit this webpage on regular basis to obtain updated from most recent gossip.

My webpage ... Http://Www.Socialdivers.Net/Index.Php?Do=/Blog/58998/Severe-Yeast-Infection-Natural-Treatment

Anonymous said...

Yοur οwn ωrite-up fеatuгes
vегіfiеԁ helpful tο us.
It’s really hеlpful and you're obviously extremely educated in this region. You get exposed our sight in order to various views on this subject using intriguing and reliable articles.
Here is my web blog phentermine

Anonymous said...

The details around the CDRL are present while in the military plan of a US soldier within Section T Cash loan Military persons are competitive, nevertheless no navy unit desires another for you to fail
http://www.yorkshirepeeps.com/RobertaSa
http://thefutureofthenhs.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=168341
http://www.ths.schulen-offenbach.de/moodle/user/view.php?id=14725&course=1
http://bostonwp.org/members/rosalyn36/activity/4325
http://mykoc.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=EmmanuelS

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate
your efforts and I will be waiting for your next post
thank you once again.

Review my web-site - Trucchi Clash of Clans

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your
weblog. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset.

If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love
to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
Please blast me an email if interested. Kudos!

Look into my web page - cheap house cleaning services

Anonymous said...

smokeless cigarettes, ecig, e cigarette, e cigarette, e cigarette, electronic cigarette

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!