Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Edwards's next piece of advice to new converts is:

"Struggle over the remainders of sin in your life"

Edwards here is saying to these new believers in Jesus Christ that they will struggle with sin for the rest of their lives, but to keep fighting. Sin is an ever present sin that will never fully be conquered in our mortal bodies.

The Apostle Paul notes his own struggle in his Christian walk:


Romans 7:14-21 14 For we know that the Law is spiritual; but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For that which I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not wish to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that it is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which indwells me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the wishing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I wish, I do not do; but I practice the very evil that I do not wish. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not wish, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wishes to do good.

The Paul concludes this discourse on his struggle with sin by saying:

Romans 7:24-25 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.


May we as believers first of all recognize that we will struggle with the outer man as long as we are in the flesh. Yet we also know that inwardly our body is growing in sanctification day by day.

So by saying this, Edwards is encouraging the new converts to struggle with this fight against sin. It is a fight. May this never be forgotten. Keep fighting. God hates sin. And so should we.

David also understood the fight with sin. He confessed his sin and recognized the holy life that he must now live in obedience to Yahweh:


Psalm 51:1-9 Be gracious to me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Thy compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me. 4 Against Thee, Thee only, I have sinned, And done what is evil in Thy sight, So that Thou art justified when Thou dost speak, And blameless when Thou dost judge. 5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me. 6 Behold, Thou dost desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part Thou wilt make me know wisdom. 7 Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me to hear joy and gladness, Let the bones which Thou hast broken rejoice. 9 Hide Thy face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!