Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I was contemplating the idea last night of serving. This then led me to the wonderful text of Galatians 5. In this chapter, Paul is giving the practical exhortations to the Galatian believers to walk in (or by the Spirit). Paul says in Gal. 5:6 that it is "faith working through love" that counts. He continues in v.13 by saying that "you were called to freedom, brethren: only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another."

Serving another individual takes a conscious, deliberate, willful and determined effort. It does not come natural. To humble oneself and take off the outer garments (so to speak) and get down on the hands and feet and - with a towel - wash and wipe the muddy, smelly, dirty and calloused feet of the disciples of the Lord, is a hard task. Yet, at the same time, it is one that we are all called to. The reason I say this is because of John 13:15, "For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you." This is the high - yet low in the world's eyes - calling that Christians are commanded to fulfill.

Galatians 5:16 continues by saying that we are to "walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh." This concept of walking by the Spirit and serving others (all which are in the same context here in Gal. 5) are accomplished by the Spirit. Namely, "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control..." (v.25). I want to make this my aim today. I want to have an attitude of service. I want to through love, serve one another. I will thus be walking by the Spirit. This will then result in the fruit of the Spirit.

I was walking last night on this lovely path outside having a fabulous conversation while the stars were out and this concept of "serving one another" came to my mind. Immediately after was the text of Gal 5:22-23 - The Fruit of the Spirit. I must make it my life's ambition to be pleasing to God (2 Cor 5:9). One way that I can do this is to serve all people (yes, even by giving piggy-back rides :-) ) and striving to have my life characterized by the fruit of the Spirit.

In a word, this can only be done by the Divine power of the Holy Spirit. Yet, He is willing to empower us to life lives of service that are pleasing to Him. To God be the Glory. May He be forever blessed.
Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!